Our Latest Posts

25 July 2008

Steelers sign top picks Mendenhall and Sweed

Friday, July 25, 2008

The Steelers came to contract terms today with their top two draft picks and will have all their picks signed to contracts when they open training camp Sunday in Latrobe.

Running back Rashard Mendenhall, the team's first-round draft choice, came to terms on a five-year deal. Wide receiver Limas Sweed, their second-round choice, agreed to a four-year contract.

Mendenhall will sign for five years at $12.55 million. He will receive bonuses as part of that contract worth $6.83 million. Contract terms for Sweed were not immediately available.

More details in tomorrow's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
First published on July 25, 2008 at 2:21 pm

I am glad this is settled and am seriously excited about this upcoming season. I think the power poll I previously posted as well as my assessment could be wrong in a good way if these rookies come out this season and prove their worth. I like the idea of the rookie class from last year as well. I think Timmons and Woodley are going to make our top-5 defense even better. I know that alot of people are thinking the same way I am right now, but are afraid to jump the gun before the training camp. I am going to go out on a limb and say that I think our team may rival the likes of New England this year, not in the 16-0 record, but in competing for the AFC Championship. I think Indianapolis has too many question marks, Jacksonville is not experienced enough as well as can't depend on having the running game like they did last year, and Cleveland will have to outplay us to get anywhere, so that leaves just us and the Patriots. I also believe that New England was more like a one hit wonder, they won't go undefeated again, at least the odds say so. I think we left alot on the table last year and have alot to prove this year. I love the development of Reothlisberger and the opportunities that Sweed and Mendenhall as well as the returning cast of Parker, Ward, Holmes, and that O-Line can give us. I also love to see our defense slaughter the opposition. I think the combination of both plus the improvement of our special teams (hopefully) we should be really good.



No comments:

Post a Comment