Our Latest Posts

27 December 2008

Band of the Week!...Volume 8! -Apocalyptica

So, here is my newest installation all about what I will call my favorite
band of the week. This weeks band is called Apocalyptica.
You can click on the band name for a full bio, but as for this blog, I will give you the quick down and dirty. I found this statement on their website,"Finland's masters of hard rock cello attain another career milestone this week with a radio chart topper. Their latest single, "I Don't Care" featuring Adam Gontier of Three Days Grace, has landed at #1 on the BDS and Mediabase Active Rock radio charts. The fact that they have supplanted Metallica at the chart summit is somewhat ironic considering Apocalyptica's roots as re-interpreters of the seminal metal band's work." I will tell you, this band I hold higher than usual. I even have this song as my ringtone. I think the most amazing thing is that they are labeled as a cellist metal band. My question is how many of them exist? Apocalyptica was formed in 1993 when four cellists, Eicca Toppinen, Paavo Lötjönen, Max Lilja, and Antero Manninen gathered to play Metallica covers at Sibelius-Academy. They performed in an after-Christmas party as a "Jailhouse Band" at the Teatro Heavy Metal Club. That evening the line-up was Toppinen, Lilja, Manninen and Perttu Kivilaakso (who was to join the band permanently in 1999.) Among the audience was Kari Hynninen, who worked for the independent label Zen Garden Records. After listening to Apocalyptica's set, Kari Hynninen signed them on the spot to Zen Garden Records. I know I don't typically write this much about a band, but they blow me away with their music.


There is a player on the bottom here with a couple songs from the band so you can have a hearsee. Also, here is a link to some lyrics, so you can see if you like their message as well.

Basically, I am telling all of you to check out this band and let me know what you think!


MusicPlaylist


No comments:

Post a Comment