Our Latest Posts

14 October 2008

Cutout Dissection.com


In dissection protest, teen's name is now Cutout Dissection.com
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

ASHEVILLE, North Carolina (AP) -- You can call her Cutout Dissection.com, or Cutout for short, but just don't call her Jennifer. The former Jennifer Thornburg -- whose driver's license now reads Dissection.com, Cutout -- wanted to do something to protest animal dissections in schools. The 19-year-old's new name is also the Web address for an anti-dissection page of the site for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, where she is interning.
"I normally do have to repeat my name several times when I am introducing myself to someone new," she told The Asheville Citizen-Times. "Once they find out what my name is, they want to know more about what the Web site is about."
The Asheville High School graduate, who is working in Virginia, said she began opposing dissections in middle school after a class assignment to cut up a chicken wing made her uncomfortable. She helped create a policy at her high school that allows students who object to dissections to complete an alternative assignment.
Despite her legally changing the name, she said most of her family members still call her Jennifer.
"It will take me a while," said her dad, Duane Thornburg, who lives in Daytona Beach, Florida. "She's still Jennifer to me. I understand why she's done it. Believe it or not, I totally respect it."
A CD showing the treatment of animals before they are dissected finally convinced him to support his daughter's cause, he said.


I understand standing up for what you believe in and all, but this is ridiculous. You have to support your child, but there is a time that you need to let her know that this is permanent and there are other ways to protest. This could cause permanent problems in job hunting in the future. People will not take her seriously. Then again, it would catch my eye.

No comments:

Post a Comment